Next up, Kensley. He met us at the airport. He drives us around, and he cheers us up. He also speaks four languages, which comes in handy because I seem to say gracias as often as I say merci.

And here's Kessy. Tireless, endlessly helpful, and always in a good mood. He's a fabulous singer and I love the way he loves the children (so naturally and easily) everywhere we go.

Here's Wilna, track and field star:

And there's Zeke, aspiring musician and strong-man ( I bought his album, so we can all listen to it when I get home). I asked him what he really thinks about Americans, and he said we make things complicated that don't need to be. Sounds like he doesn't like drama, either!

Plus Evans, translator and aspiring bodyguard for the new Haitian president. He talks about it as though it's a done deal. Evans went to school in the US, and when i asked him why he wanted to come back here, he said that there is so much being built and created here, that he wanted to be part of that and to make a life for himself.

Plus Michelle, missionary in residence who cannot keep her hands off whatever baby is around:

And Chris, Executive Director of Chadasha on whom Jenny spilled cough syrup, and Orville, Chadasha board member:


These are the people to whom I have entrusted my life, from knowing which neighborhoods are safe when, to physically standing between me and the stranger on the road where we walk. And they live this life every day, all year 'round. They are amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment