Thursday, May 5, 2011

Today I woke up in Haiti.

The guest house is quite comfortable. There are five fans in our bunk room, and a cooler of coke (in the bottle!!) in the dining room, and my own bed and space and a fabulous view of the valley and the sunset. Most days I wake to hear team members talking, or see the sun's up and wonder if I'm late for breakfast. It feels more like dormitory than foreign country.

Today a contingent of families left for the Dominican Republic for heart surgeries (arranged by Chadasha) that simply aren't available here. So they came in last night to be ready for their journey today. When I woke up this morning, i was hot - it didn't cool down as much last night as it has on past nights - and the smells from the kitchen were definitely more Haitian than some days. Plus the air was full of voices, foreign words and babies crying. It felt like I was waking up in Haiti, and it was awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment