Thursday, May 10, 2012

Heading home



As I write this, it is the night before we leave for home. I haven't been able to post everyday, or even write every day, and I certainly haven't told a single story chronologically! I have so much more to say, but it all comes out in jumbled bits and pieces, not coherent writing. So if you want to know, ask me. I'd LOVE to talk about it, and LOVE to help you get involved with the Outreach Foundation and all the fantastic things they are doing.

Here are some of my favorites photos, just for fun.




I love this because the street address is "behind immigration."







Nedson!






The light switch for the bathroom always seems to be outside the room, except this one - cleverly placed in the wall to be accessible from inside or outside! But, so much for privacy!




I liked this sign, but I especially appreciated the irony that we were standing in a 19th century church.





These are the latrine caps; this one clearly not in use. I don't know if the half-inch elevation helps you stay cleaner somehow, or just gives instructions!





Next time, I would totally take more soccer balls. We had plenty for the villages and schools we visited, but we could've given away four times that many just throwing them out the windows. Everywhere we went, we saw pick-up games or just little knots of kids playing with garbage bags rolled up to be soccer balls.





This is my cousin Betsy. In this photo, we were goofing off, trying to get our head-wraps ready for Sunday worship. She's the reason I'm on this trip. She came last year with her husband and their three kids. She wanted to come back this year but the timing kept the rest of her family at home. She called me up and said, "do you want to go to Africa?" and I didn't even have to think about it! it's been so so fun, and inspirational. I'm hoping for life-changing, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Betsy infiltrated Sebber and Sarah's kitchen - no easy feat - and she let me tie the chitenga on her. I'm thinking her next trip might be an extended stay.






And here's our happy little group.





No comments:

Post a Comment