Thursday, May 10, 2012

What Hilary Clinton and I have in common







The day before we left, we met with the General Secretary (center) the Assistant General Secretary (right), and the Moderator of the Blantyre Synod (left) ... (churches form together into Presbyteries (like a diocese), Presbyteries together form a synod, synods together form the denomination). Alex Maulana, the GS, said something that really stuck with me: Here in Malawi we say, "I am because we are."

You know, Descartes said, "I think, therefore I am" which -when shifted to have a parallel structure as the African quote -would read "I am because I think." Compared in that way, Descartes seems a little cold and self-absorbed. I think, and that's all I need, just me and what I can produce and imagine and be on my own ... that is sufficient for my existence. I suppose this is technically true, but it's a limited view of who we are.

The GS's quote is an African philosophy Ubuntu, or uMunthu in Chichewa. It can also be understood as "I am what I am because what we are together," or the African proverb, "alone we are vulnerable like a wild animal, but together we are a community." I like this a lot. I have been able to become what and who I am not by my own wiles, or by stepping on people's toes ... but through the encouragement of the people who love me, and through the success of the people around me.

My first thought was how this applies to American politics, but also neighborhoods and general attitudes. We seem to have developed a "protect your own first" philosophy that considers "the greater good" a noble pursuit (reserved for others). I have often thought lately that we needed to be willing to put aside our own agendas to a build a community that nurtures us all, but my thinking was missing one key piece. You see, this uMunthu, this interconnectedness does not require our buy-in. It simply is the truth. Whatever community , culture, society we build - whatever we are - is who we become as individuals, like it or not. So it's not a matter of adopting a more community-mindedness, but being aware of its reality.

Now here's another facet to consider ... what's your "we"? Years ago at my SIL's graduation from Queens University, the keynote speaker told us that, statistically speaking, when someone has $100 to give away he is way more likely to give it to someone in his neighborhood. Like maybe the family down the street that's hit hard times, or the homeless guy he regularly passes on his way to work. The speaker's challenge to us was this: How big is your neighborhood? Do you see yourself as part of a world-wide neighborhood, and how geographically far are you willing to let your $100 go because your metaphorical neighborhood knows different boundaries?

When I was asked to address the church in Kamalatisti, I told them of our English song, "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world; red, brown, yellow, black, and white, they are precious in His sight; Jesus loves the little children of the world." (sorry PC people, I still love that song.) and I told my new Malawian friends that when I look at their faces, and when I look at my face, I am reminded that their God who is my God who is our God is so big, and so good. I am coming to realize that all God's children all around the world are my "neighborhood," my "we," and that I am because we are. So now what is my responsibility?

And let me just add one more point: don't for one minute believe that I think giving to people in other countries is more important than taking care of people here at home (or vice versa). There is plenty to go around. What keeps people everywhere from getting enough is greed and corruption and human-frailty. The good news is that there are people who are called to be involved locally, nationally, globally ... and it takes all types to really makes this "global we" thing hum! So figure out which one you are, and get busy working (without feeling snotty toward those with a different call). As Frederick Buechner so eloquently put it: “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” So what's your gladness? And what breaks your heart? How big is your neighborhood and who is your "we"? And what are you going to do about it?





~~~~~~~~~~

(and if you think it mght be the people of Mozambique, let me know. I'll hook you up! :) You can choose: a well, a school, a church, leadership training, evangelism training, skills training - fisheries, tailoring, or carpentry! - continuing ed. for Sebber, or "whatever the project needs most" is always an excellent option. Ooh, or how about Sebber's car? Get this: she's been limping along with a vehicle that had some quirks ... like how you have to help the windows roll up even though they are power windows, or how every time you get under 7 miles/hr, the doors start locking or unlocking incessantly. But the day we were leaving, something in the suspension gave way and this happened.












Imagine if this had happened while we were on the bumpy dirt roads of rural Mozambique? Or while she was there by herself?! Remember, this is where she spends a great deal of time. So anyway, "reliable vehicle for Sebber" just got nudged a little further up the list of priorities. )

No comments:

Post a Comment