I have really struggled since I signed up for this trip to know what my purpose is. Haiti was easy; I was part of a medical team, even though what I had to offer wasn't medical. So getting ready to leave for Africa was different; sure, I was bringing medical supplies for the local clinic, but we wouldn't even be using them while I was there. We wouldn't be digging wells, or building bunk beds, or handing out rice. What was I doing? Visiting churches and seeing what was going on. Doesn't that make me a tourist?
Of course I am sympathetic to their plight, heart-broken about the struggle involved in getting water, food, clothes, and safety. But why not just send my money?
Today it all came clear. We're here to worship God with our Mozambican brothers and sisters. Some of us more boisterously than others...

This is important for them, because it gives the church status in the community to have visitors. Visitors are so special, because you took the time, that you are greeted with song and dance. The villagers literally follow you around singing and dancing until you get in your car and drive away. Yesterday this made me feel self-conscious and, well, white. So I asked Nedson if I could sit with the people instead of in the front with the "honored guests." He said yes, because while they would treat me with a certain reverence, sitting with them would demonstrate my openness. So here's what happened today:

Our presence is also important for them, because their background and culture is ancestor worship, and when they worship with Americans, they know that their God and our God is the same God, and that God is God of the Whole Wide World.
It is important to be there, to be with them in the work they do. If we just sent our money, it wouldn't have to be just a handout, but it still wouldn't be the same partnership. What a joy for returning members of the team to be in Mameme2 today! This time last year, they visited and they worshipped with 50 other people (no kidding) in a 10x10 hut. They talked about the plans for an actual church. And this year they were there to worship in the brand new space. How wonderful to go through this exciting process with them!

But here's the last reason it was important for me to be here today: I will take home a whole new perspective on what it means to be a Christian. I have wrestled over the years with the idea of "abundant life." Jesus said he came so that we might abundant life, and I've long felt that it was not defined by material abundance. But in our modern American culture, I couldn't see any further. When I would go to rescue mission, I would be faced with the question of abundance in a room full of people who had absolutely nothing. My answers quickly became abstract: peace, hope, courage.
But this morning, I asked Nedson, "what is the abundant life that Jesus promises these people?" He said, "life! Everything you see! Even getting up in the morning is a gift from God!"
Me: "No, no, Nedson. What is the abundant life offered to people who believe in God?"
Nedson: "Nothing different, just the knowledge of where it comes from and the opportunity to be grateful for it!"
Me: So the abundant life is for everyone? Even the non-believers?
Nedson: and that is the grace of God for all people!
If nothing else, this theology puts a whole new perspective on worship simply for the sake of worship. It's not about what God can do for me, whether the temptation is rice, or second-hand clothes, or peace of mind, or comfort for the future, or the thought that God wants me to be rich. It's the belief that all things come from God, and we have a chance to give thanks. And that also is the beauty of what the Outreach Foundation is doing here. They're not going in and providing short-term supplies in the hopes of changing minds and "winning souls." They're partnering with communities to make their lives just a little easier and a whole lot healthier, so that together we can know the truth and be grateful to the God who made it all possible.
And here's one more happy for today:

Wonderful! I am so happy that you are there, experiencing all the blessings that are in store for you on this trip. I know we go on these mission trips thinking that we are going to be a blessing to those that we serve (and we are) but it is the growth and change to our hearts that make me want to come back again and again.
ReplyDelete