Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Versatile

Have you read The Hitcthiker's Guide to the Galaxy? If so, then you know how important it is to have your towel handy, since it is so versatile. Meet the chitenge, two meters of fabric that can be worn and used many different ways.

For example, you can wrap it around your skirt to keep the dust off your clothes when traveling, or to show respect when you are in church.








You can wrap it more around your bosom like a dress.






Or you can wear it over your shoulders if you are cold...





Or if you are naked.





You can also wear it around your waist as an accessory.





You can use the chitenga to carry your baby in the front,









Or in the back,





which is very handy should you want to sing and dance



































or carry firewood








or just play with bubbles.







You can also use it as a tablecloth



























or as a book bag!




The girls are taught very young to keep one with them all the time, in case they need it, and even the working women in the city who wear suits keep one in their purses. President Banda, the new president of Malawi, has one with her all the time that she carries over her shoulder! Here's mine, because it's respectful when we go into churches, and it generally makes me more approachable.








Now that's one sass frood who really knows where her towel is!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pic of the lady dancing with her baby on her back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't purchase one when I was in Uganda and I regret it! I will make sure to pick one up next time. Love your pictures. And you are right - they are very handy. Just about every other woman we saw had at least one child tied to her with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chitenges (also spelled Sitenge here but it's pronounced the same)are also used here in Namibia. They're mostly used in the northeastern part--the Kavango and Caprivi regions--so not where I am, but I LOVE them! There are 2 Caprivian teachers at my school and they use them all the time. I recently visited Kavango and bought 10 of them! -Sarah McGhee

    ReplyDelete