The Brewer place is run by an American couple from "Mur-ville" TN, but we only met the wife. There are 25 children in residence, the youngest is four and the oldest said she was 16, but the other teenagers told me she was 15. As soon as we walked in, I was surrounded by little children touching me, not wanting to be picked up, just touching me. They had beautiful smiling faces and were so warm and friendly. As I sat with the teens and tried to remember my high school French, I listened as the missionary gave Jenny backgrounds on each child as they came through. S was a child slave at a voodoo temple. M has TB of the spine. W arrived at age 5 with gonorrhea. Here was my favorite, although I'm pretty sure I was her favorite, too.


She signed her name on my hand and spent a lot of time sitting with me. I was struck by her because she reminded me of my favorite [only] Aunt Jenny. Look how proud she is of the barrettes I gave her!
No comments:
Post a Comment