Our day started with us awake but missing the wedding. The gate agent was kind enough to give us the exit row so we could all sit together, but she made me take seven pounds out of my checked luggage. Ok, she didn't make me; I could've paid the sixty dollar overage fee and chose not to. In line for security, Jenny and I were singled out and asked to fit our carry-on in the box that tests for size. Jenny's didn't fit, but she pulled the "medical equipment" card and was passed. Mine fit perfectly and then - as Anne smirked smugly behind me - I couldn't get it back out and had to use all my "assets" to free my stuff! (note: Anne was smirking at the snarky gate agent who was picking on me, only to be thwarted by my traveler-husband's perfectly sized bag.)
I slept through the entire flight, and woke up in another world. What I learned preparing for this trip is that Haiti has a proud-if-mercurial history. Haiti was a wealthy nation in the nineteenth century, and then again enjoyed prosperity in the mid-twentieth century, but since has fallen on tough times. As you look around, it is difficult to tell what is in the process of being built, what is being re-built since the earthquake, and what was just started and abandoned.


No comments:
Post a Comment